Friday, July 13, 2007

More CEOs Openly Post

reports the Journal in  Executives Get the Blogging Bug and it shows that one more web innovation has finally made it into the mainstream and like others before is still misunderstood by many who now seem to consider it the thing to do. I remember ten years ago, when every CEO under the sun suddenly cried "what's this new thing, a website, build me one of these!". Now, it's "get me blog" and most efforts are quite lame.

It's not that these people can't write but the system mostly prevents them from telling anything new or in some cases even telling the truth. Everything seems to be run past the legal department and the end result is just more corporate communications spin. OK, maybe I'm a bit harsh here, but I haven't found a compelling CEO blog yet.

I doubt the majority of blog readers will find those executive suit blogs a compelling read for the very reasons I've just outlined above. If you're prevented by corporate rules and behavior from telling the truth or reveal anything new and exciting or controversial, what's the point?

Despite these considerations, my guess is that the types of CEO blogs will proliferate and who knows, maybe down the road might even become more interesting and useful as these authors realize that participating in the conversation about their organizations that is taking place anyway, is time well spent and as a key benefit, maybe they might even learn something, provided they start to listen.

No comments: